Elderflower Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Infused Elderflower Frosting and Pink Piping


For my great friend and flatmate Marta, I wanted to create something special. So while reading up on my recipes and flipping through magazines, I spotted elderflower:


Of course...I didn't have to actually use the flower though it would have added a nice tough to the frosting but I was able to get hold of elderflower syrup. So that gave birth to this recipe:

Ingredients:
For the cupcakes
175g unsalted butter - very soft 
175g demarara sugar
3 medium eggs - beaten
1tsp elderflower syrup
175g self-raising flour - sifted
1/2tsp baking power
2tbsp milk

For the cream cheese frosting
300g cream cheese
150g icing sugar
1tsp elderflower syrup

For the pink cream:
100ml double cream
50g icing sugar
2 squirts of pink coloring

Method:
  1. Firstly, crank up the oven to 180 Degrees Celcius and then line your muffin trays.
  2. Next, beat sugar and butter till light and fluffy before beaten eggs into mixture. Add in the elderflower syrup, then a portion of the sifted flour and baking powder before finally adding in the milk.
  3. Once fully combined, spoon into muffin trays and bake for 15 minutes.
  4. While waiting, make the cream cheese icing by combining all the ingredients and whip into frosting. Place in fridge and proceed the same with the cream. Place in the fridge too.
  5. Once cupcakes are baked, take out to completely cool down before frosting and piping.
It was perfect for a party, and the host loved it (or so I gather). 

Next up, carrot cake...

The Innovative Baker

Comments

  1. I've never heard of using elderflower before. It sounds so interesting. Your cupcakes look so cute. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cupcakes up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment